A dental crown is a single-tooth restoration that restores the function of your bite and the appearance of your smile. At 5 Star Dentists in Sugar Land and Houston, TX, we use only the highest-quality porcelain and zirconia crowns to protect teeth that have been weakened by decay or trauma. Dr. Andrew Tran offers same-day crowns for qualifying patients, as well as implant-supported crowns for those who have suffered from tooth loss.
What Is a Dental Crown?
Sometimes called a cap, a dental crown covers the entire visible portion of a tooth, providing strength and protection. A crown can:
- Reinforce a cracked, broken, or decayed tooth
- Replace a worn filling, crown, or other restoration
- Fortify a tooth following a root canal procedure
- Replace a missing tooth when attached to a dental implant
- Secure a traditional dental bridge
- Conceal imperfections, such as discoloration or a misshapen tooth
We offer crowns composed of porcelain, porcelain fused to zirconia, and zirconia for durable, natural-looking results.
How is a Traditional Crown Placed?
Dr. Tran will begin by preparing your tooth. This involves removing compromised tissue and reshaping the remaining portion to accommodate a dental crown. We can then take impressions of your smile, which will be used to fabricate your restoration.
If you are receiving a traditional restoration, an outside laboratory will custom-craft your crown. The typical turn-around time is two weeks, and you can return to our office for placement once your crown is ready. Same-day crown patients can wait for their restoration to be manufactured by our onsite CEREC® machine. This process takes about one hour.
We are proud to offer dental crowns that mimic the sheen of natural enamel, allowing your restoration to blend in seamlessly with your smile.
When placing your crown, Dr. Tran will ensure that the shade and shape of the restoration matches your smile and complements your bite pattern. He will then place the crown over the tooth and secure it using a specialized cement.
Caring for Your Crown
With proper care, a dental crown can last for many years. To ensure long-lasting results, we recommend:
- Abstaining from foods that are excessively hard or sticky, which can dislodge the crown
- Staying up-to-date on regular cleanings and exams, during which we can check the integrity of your crown
- Wearing a night guard if you grind your teeth, which can otherwise wear down or crack the restoration
If you have additional questions about the dental crowns process or at-home care, we can review your concerns in more detail during a private consultation.
Learn More about Dental Crowns
Teeth that have been compromised by damage or decay should be addressed in a timely manner to avoid more serious complications in the future. If you have a tooth that can benefit from the support of a dental crown, schedule your appointment today. You can also call our Houston office at (832) 831-5417 or our Sugar Land office at (281) 969-7456 to learn more about our dental services.